GONORRHOEA (CLAP) is one of the most common communicable diseases. The concerned bacteria directly act within the urethra, rectum, and pharynx. When the infection occurs in the genital tract, mouth, or rectum of a child, it is most commonly due to abuse . Gonorrhoea among females can also be transmitted from one individual to another via contact to surfaces that may still be damp from prior contact. It is hardly possible to catch this disease through sponges, towels and other shared things.
Gonorrhoea is a venereal disease caused by the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae. It is passed from person to person through activity. Young men aged 20-24 years and women between the ages of 16 and 19 are most commonly affected. Around half of women and one in ten men who have contracted gonorrhoea do not experience any symptoms, which means it can often go untreated for some time. Gonorrhoea might also increase the amount of HIV present in semen and other genital secretions . Note, however, that this effect is by no means limited to gonorrhoea and there is increased risk of HIV transmission with co-infection of most transmitted infections.
If your lover tries to convince you that he or she “brought” gonorrhoea from swimming pool be sure that this is an outrageous lie. Non-genital sites in which it thrives are the rectum , the oropharynx and the conjunctivae of the eyes. If a person is infected, all of his or her partners will catch gonorrhoea. The vulva and in women are usually spared because they are lined by stratified epithelial cells - in women the cervix is the usual first site of infection. This can cause serious health problems in later life, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) PID can be very unpleasant causing abdominal pain , tenderness and fever. Many cases of continued ill health, sterility, and recurring miscarriages are due to these changes.
Causes of Gonorrhoea
The common Causes of Gonorrhoea :
- Although gonorrhea is normally a transmitted disease there is some evidence to suggest that it can be carried by pubic lice and that these can be picked up from objects such as lavatory seats.
- An unusual discharge.
- Gonorrhoea is caused by a bacteria which is found mainly in the semen and fluids of men and women who have the infection.
- Pain while urinating or passing water.
- Oral contact does not often pass on gonorrhea usually by fellatio rather than cunnilingus.
Symptoms of Gonorrhoea
Some common Symptoms of Gonorrhoea :
- A pain or burning sensation when passing urine.
- Abdominal pain.
- Pain or burning sensation on urinating.
- Inflammation of the testicles and prostate gland.
- Pain or tenderness caused by inflammation of the testicles or prostate gland.
- Inflammation or dull pain in the testes.
Treatment of Gonorrhoea
- However, there are many strains of gonorrhoea and some are now resistant to the commonly used antibiotics. This makes it important for anyone with suspected gonorrhoea to be properly investigated.
- All partners of a person with gonorrhoea should be tested and treated if infected, whether or not they have symptoms of infection.
- As a bacterial infection gonorrhoea can usually be treated with an antibiotic.
- All current and recent partners of a person with gonorrhoea should be tested and treated to prevent re-infection and the further spread of disease. Treatment is offered whether or not they show any signs of infection.
- Epidemiologic treatment refers to treatment with standard regimens, after laboratory tests have been taken, but before confirmatory results are available, on the basis that the benefits of treating outweigh the benefits of not treating.