Mumps is an acute communicable disease of viral origin characterised by painful enlargement of the parotid glands. Mumps is common in children between the age of 5-9 years. One attack of mumps gives lifelong immunity. The disease has been recognized for several centuries, and medical historians argue over whether the name "mumps" comes from an old word for "lump" or an old word for "mumble." As a secondary language feature, you can abbreviate nearly all commands and native functions to a single character to save space; this was a common feature of languages designed in this period (eg, early BASICs). Outbreaks of mumps still occur in the United States, and mumps is still common in many parts of the world, so getting a vaccination to prevent mumps is important.
Mumps is an acute , contagious disease that causes painful swelling of the salivary glands. It was designed to make writing database-driven applications easy while simultaneously making efficient use of computing resources. These glands, which produce saliva for the mouth, are found toward the back of each cheek, in the area between the ear and jaw. Your odds of contracting mumps aren't very high. Mumps was common until the mumps vaccine was licensed in 1967. The virus is contagious for about a week before the disease breaks out, which can make it difficult to track down the source of infection. MUMPS has no data types. Numbers can be treated as strings of digits, or strings can be treated as numbers by numeric operators ( coerced , in MUMPS terminology). Coercion can have some odd side effects, however. As in the prevaccine era, most cases of mumps are still in children ages 5 to 14, but the proportion of young adults who become infected has been rising slowly over the last two decades. A single space separates a command from its argument, and a space, or newline, separates each argument from the next MUMPS token. Commands which take no arguments (eg, ELSE ) require two following spaces.
Mumps is a disease caused by a virus that usually spreads through saliva and can infect many parts of the body, especially the parotid salivary glands.Mumps is a viral infection that primarily affects the parotid glands — one of three pairs of salivary glands, located below and in front of your ears. Additionally, there are built-in operators which treat a delimited string (eg, comma-separated values ) as an array. Before the vaccine, up to 200,000 cases of mumps occurred each year in the United States. Since then, the number of cases has dropped dramatically. The conceit is that one space separates the command from the (nonexistent) argument, the next separates the "argument" from the next command. Newlines are also significant; an IF , ELSE or FOR command processes (or skips) everything else til the end-of-line. However, other infections can also cause swelling in the salivary glands, which might lead a parent to mistakenly think a child has had mumps more than once.
Causes of Mumps
The common Causes of Mumps :
- Mumps is typically caused by the paramyxovirus.
- The parotid glands (the largest salivary glands, located between the ear and the jaw) are often swollen.
- Bacterial (suppurative) parotitis is most commonly caused by Staphylococcus aureus infection.
- The individual may be infectious for up to two weeks after the onset of swelling of the glands, but the peak period of infectivity is from a day or two before the onset of the swelling until very shortly after the swelling begins.
- Other viruses implicated in recurrent parotitis are influenza, echovirus, parainfluenza (types 1 and 3), and coxsackievirus more rare causes of parotitis seen in persons with HIV infection are adenovirus or cytomegalovirus.
Symptoms of Mumps
Some common Symptoms of Mumps :
- Face pain
- Weakness and fatigue
- Swelling of the parotid glands
- Pain with chewing or swallowing
- Swollen, painful salivary glands on one or both sides of the face
- Sore muscles
Treatment of Mumps
Here is the list of the methods for treating Mumps :
- If an adult develops mumps they should consult the doctor, especially if a male with swollen, painful testicles (orchitis) in these cases cool compresses can be helpful.
- Persons exposed to the virus should be counseled on vaccination and risks.
- Symptoms may be relieved by the application of intermittent ice or heat to the affected neck area and/or acetaminophen for pain relief (do not give aspirin to children with a viral illness because of the risk of Reye's syndrome ).
- Ice or heat packs applied to the neck area and with acetaminophen (Tylenol) may help relieve pain.
- You should let your doctor know that the child has mumps, but unless unexpected problems arise, your doctor will not necessarily need to see your child.
- Supportive care and outpatient follow up is indicated for straightforward infections.
- If you or your child develops symptoms of mumps, consult your health care provider for diagnosis.
- Give plenty of water but avoid fruit juice, which can stimulate the parotid gland to make saliva, which in turn can be painful