A cataract is a clouding of the eye's natural lens, which lies behind the iris and the pupil. Cataracts can also be produced by eye injury or physical trauma. Cataract surgery slightly increases your risk of retinal detachment. Most people with cataracts have similar changes in both eyes, although one eye may be worse than the other. Genetic factors are often a cause of congenital cataracts and positive family history may also play a role in predisposing someone to cataracts at an earlier age. Although cataracts have no scientifically proven prevention, it is sometimes said that wearing ultraviolet -protecting sunglasses may slow the development of cataracts. Many people with this condition have only slight visual changes, and are not aware of their cataracts. When symptoms begin to appear, you may be able to improve your vision for a while using new glasses, strong bifocals, magnification, appropriate lighting or other visual aids. Cataracts are common in older people. Many people who need cataract surgery also have other eye conditions, such as age-related macular degeneration or glaucoma. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision.
Prevention of Cataract
- The best prevention involves controlling diseases that increase the risk of a cataract.
- Avoiding exposure to factors known to promote cataract formation.
- Wearing sunglasses when you are outside during the day can reduce the amount of UV light your eyes are exposed to.
- Regular exercise and rest.
- For patients who smoke cigarettes, quitting will decrease the risk of cataracts.
- Eat a balanced diet. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Home Remedies for Cataract
- The use of carrots is considered beneficial in the treatment of cataract. The patient should take plenty of raw carrots daily.
- The flowers of pumpkin are valuable in cataract. The juice of these flowers should be extracted and applied externally on the eyelids twice daily. It will stop further clouding of the crystalline lens of the eye.
- Certain nutrients have also been found useful in cataract.
- Another effective remedy is to put a few drops of unprocessed pure honey in the eyes.
- Almonds are valuable in cataract. Seven kernels should be ground finely with half a gram of pepper in half a cup of water, and drunk after sweetening the mixture with a teaspoon of sugar candy. It helps the eyes to regain their vigour.