Post nasal drip is an intuitive term that refers to the consciousness of thick phlegm in the throat, which can become infected. The condition starts in the nose for the majority of people, indeed, over 90% of infection causing bacteria and irritants come into the body through the nose and flourish in the nasal passages. It can be induced by rhinitis, sinusitis, or laryngopharyngeal acid reflux. It can be improved or every so often even caused by allergies, whether in spring, fall or early summer.
People who experience post-nasal drip often illustrate a sense of mucus dripping at the back of the throat. This may escort to frequent throat clearing, sore throat, and coughing. If you enclose asthma, the post-nasal drip may construct breathing even more difficult.
Other signs related with post-nasal drip may consist of bad breath, stuffy nose, hoarse voice, or coughing. The best method to alleviate post nasal drip is to stay absent from pollutants and your allergens. The cure of post-nasal drip depends on its reason.
Treating and Preventing Post-Nasal Drip
- Bacterial infections are treated through antibiotics. These drugs may only afford temporary relief.
- Several people utilize bulb syringes, squirt bottles, and neti pots for nasal irrigation.
- In cases of chronic sinusitis, surgery to open the blocked sinuses may be needed.
- Steroids may also be recommended for short-term usage, as extended use may cause injurious side effects.
- Employ isotonic buffered saline nasal wash and also use a hypertonic nasal decongestant with anti-bacterial properties.